Senaste nytt

SAS Messed up. What to do? Sue them?

Status
Stängd för vidare inlägg.
Update on the case:
I have arrived home yesterday after a very exhausting journey and, as expected, my luggage did not arrive. I've opened already a case with SAS for them to search for the luggage and they are working on it. But to my surprise the customer service guy told me there is no compensation for delayed luggage when travelling back home. Is that correct? Isn't this a bit unfair? Means SAS can do anything they want with your luggage and you can't complain at all about it.
Sue them!

On a serious note, I guess you are not a frequent flyer, no airline I know about gives compensation for delayed luggage on the return flight.

But to my surprise the customer service guy told me there is no compensation for delayed luggage when travelling back home. Is that correct? Isn't this a bit unfair? Means SAS can do anything they want with your luggage and you can't complain at all about it.
Yes, this is correct, and standard terms for most (all?) airlines and insurances. Just to be clear though, this is regarding delayed luggage. The airline is responsible for lost or damaged luggage.

Felipe

Medlem
Sue them!

On a serious note, I guess you are not a frequent flyer, no airline I know about gives compensation for delayed luggage on the return flight.

Depends on what you call a frequent flyer. I would say I fly more than the average person but not much more. Maybe I was unaware of this because I have never been through this issue, and now it's happening together with all the other bad things.

SAS also replied to my original email saying that this matter should be handled through the phone. But it was the phone people who told me to send them an email and even provided me with the specific address to make it be handled faster (sas gold email). They are sending me back and forth between different departments and no one wants to truly help.

palmen

Depends on what you call a frequent flyer. I would say I fly more than the average person but not much more. Maybe I was unaware of this because I have never been through this issue, and now it's happening together with all the other bad things.

SAS also replied to my original email saying that this matter should be handled through the phone. But it was the phone people who told me to send them an email and even provided me with the specific address to make it be handled faster (sas gold email). They are sending me back and forth between different departments and no one wants to truly help.
Your missing bag should be reported at the airport and you'll get yoru PIR report. That's where you have all information regarding your missing bags and how to track them. The more people you bring in to the issue, the more problems you'll most likely get and more incorrect answers. Stick to talking to the people responsible for delayed bagage and not someone else. There is nothing you can do to speed up the time it takes for the bag to reach you. Use the tracking system available for you and you can see where it is. When it has reached your final destination it should be delivered within 24h usually.

The gold email doesn't handle delayed bag questions. I'm not surprised someone on the phone had no clue and refered you somewhere else, then it's not their problem anymore.

We told you that it's your responsibility to know the T&C of your trip and it's vital to know your rights. Same goes for luggage delayes, flight delays and everything else. The more you read up on it yourself the better you can handle situations when shit hit the fan. As many already have pointed out, no airline (from what I know) pay anything for delayed luggage when you are homebound. More or less no insurance cover this either. Haven't you looked up what you're covered with your insurances? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you to update on exactly what you are protected against during a trip, you might miss some important converage if you aren't aware of what it's covering.

fiffig

Medlem
Update on the case:
I have arrived home yesterday after a very exhausting journey and, as expected, my luggage did not arrive. I've opened already a case with SAS for them to search for the luggage and they are working on it. But to my surprise the customer service guy told me there is no compensation for delayed luggage when travelling back home. Is that correct? Isn't this a bit unfair? Means SAS can do anything they want with your luggage and you can't complain at all about it.

Delayed luggage when traveling “home“ is almost never compensated. I have however been compensated a little amount once by Turkish airlines.
I travel with sport equipment that I need for daily training and a lot of them nothing you can buy in a store or personalized. I had to check some of it in one time traveling from Istanbul to Sweden and it was delayed by 4 days. I replaced whatever I could and did ask for reimbursement, I got around 1000sek (some mystery amount I have no idea how they came up with) out of 4000sek I spent. I need my equipment for the training and I had to buy them anyway and it didn’t matter how much they’d end up costing me, so I just bought whatever I could and waited for the rest to arrive. Baggage delay when arriving home wouldn’t be a big problem for many but for me it is, because I need to travel with equipments that I don’t have multiple of and not all of it can be taken onboard always for variety of reasons.

General understanding is however that it is almost never compensated by the airlines nor the insurance companies, which to me is pretty reasonable considering probably the vest majority of people do have an access to the things they need when arriving home, even if it does not apply to me at all.
I travel very frequently and I do what I can to prevent the stress by trying to have multiples of everything important to me or something that I need daily but it can get difficult sometimes, especially the equiptment I need for my sport.

I think I had my luggages delayed about 10 times the last year alone, twice coming home and rest at destinations, I was however very prepared and could go about my days without significant discomfort or causing problems for my training.

I sympathize by the way with your situation regarding the SAS mess up, it sounds to me (and seems like to everybody else here) like a usual, everyday occurrence unfortunately unbeknownst to you. I think kind of the harsh tones here comes from everybody here being familiar with all kinds of SAS customer service mess ups, while you are/were not. I do think that the customer service should know what they are talking about and the company should honor whatever its employee promising the customers. It is very unfortunate that SAS customer service is infamous for giving wrong information or even promising to do something they aren’t supposed to do (in this case, changing your return ticket). Very unfortunate indeed to be given the wrong information about being able to change it when you aren‘t suppose to be able to do it. Just very unfortunate combination with your lack of knowledge about your own ticket and the agent’s lack of knowledge about the ticket rules.

Wish you an ironclad knowledge from now on about your rights and ticket rules with the tickets you buy and from this forum when uncertain (different experiences we all have had cover a lot of uncertainties a non frequent flyer might have) so you can correct the agent yourself with the correct information.
We say “HUACA” = Hang up and call again, when things that’s supposed to work does not, as some agent just are incapable of doing something you ask them to do or firmly believe (wrongly) in not being allowed to do what you are asking them to do…Always the best to know what‘s in the contract, what exactly you are entitled to do, and correct customer service or HUACA if needed… Good luck :)

Felipe

Medlem
Your missing bag should be reported at the airport and you'll get yoru PIR report. That's where you have all information regarding your missing bags and how to track them. The more people you bring in to the issue, the more problems you'll most likely get and more incorrect answers. Stick to talking to the people responsible for delayed bagage and not someone else. There is nothing you can do to speed up the time it takes for the bag to reach you. Use the tracking system available for you and you can see where it is. When it has reached your final destination it should be delivered within 24h usually.

The gold email doesn't handle delayed bag questions. I'm not surprised someone on the phone had no clue and refered you somewhere else, then it's not their problem anymore.

We told you that it's your responsibility to know the T&C of your trip and it's vital to know your rights. Same goes for luggage delayes, flight delays and everything else. The more you read up on it yourself the better you can handle situations when shit hit the fan. As many already have pointed out, no airline (from what I know) pay anything for delayed luggage when you are homebound. More or less no insurance cover this either. Haven't you looked up what you're covered with your insurances? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you to update on exactly what you are protected against during a trip, you might miss some important converage if you aren't aware of what it's covering.
The email to sas gold was regarding my original issue (my booking being cancelled), not the delayed luggage. That I handled at the airport.

Felipe

Medlem
But really, if you are not interested in my case, why waste your time posting ironic things here? Just unsubscribe and stop wasting your time with me. I am posting updates so other people can use this information in the future to help them decide what to do in similar situations. You are really just making it harder to find useful information in the topic by flooding it with ironic messages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felipe

Medlem
Delayed luggage when traveling “home“ is almost never compensated. I have however been compensated a little amount once by Turkish airlines.
I travel with sport equipment that I need for daily training and a lot of them nothing you can buy in a store or personalized. I had to check some of it in one time traveling from Istanbul to Sweden and it was delayed by 4 days. I replaced whatever I could and did ask for reimbursement, I got around 1000sek (some mystery amount I have no idea how they came up with) out of 4000sek I spent. I need my equipment for the training and I had to buy them anyway and it didn’t matter how much they’d end up costing me, so I just bought whatever I could and waited for the rest to arrive. Baggage delay when arriving home wouldn’t be a big problem for many but for me it is, because I need to travel with equipments that I don’t have multiple of and not all of it can be taken onboard always for variety of reasons.

General understanding is however that it is almost never compensated by the airlines nor the insurance companies, which to me is pretty reasonable considering probably the vest majority of people do have an access to the things they need when arriving home, even if it does not apply to me at all.
I travel very frequently and I do what I can to prevent the stress by trying to have multiples of everything important to me or something that I need daily but it can get difficult sometimes, especially the equiptment I need for my sport.

I think I had my luggages delayed about 10 times the last year alone, twice coming home and rest at destinations, I was however very prepared and could go about my days without significant discomfort or causing problems for my training.

I sympathize by the way with your situation regarding the SAS mess up, it sounds to me (and seems like to everybody else here) like a usual, everyday occurrence unfortunately unbeknownst to you. I think kind of the harsh tones here comes from everybody here being familiar with all kinds of SAS customer service mess ups, while you are/were not. I do think that the customer service should know what they are talking about and the company should honor whatever its employee promising the customers. It is very unfortunate that SAS customer service is infamous for giving wrong information or even promising to do something they aren’t supposed to do (in this case, changing your return ticket). Very unfortunate indeed to be given the wrong information about being able to change it when you aren‘t suppose to be able to do it. Just very unfortunate combination with your lack of knowledge about your own ticket and the agent’s lack of knowledge about the ticket rules.

Wish you an ironclad knowledge from now on about your rights and ticket rules with the tickets you buy and from this forum when uncertain (different experiences we all have had cover a lot of uncertainties a non frequent flyer might have) so you can correct the agent yourself with the correct information.
We say “HUACA” = Hang up and call again, when things that’s supposed to work does not, as some agent just are incapable of doing something you ask them to do or firmly believe (wrongly) in not being allowed to do what you are asking them to do…Always the best to know what‘s in the contract, what exactly you are entitled to do, and correct customer service or HUACA if needed… Good luck :)
That's exactly what I think as well. The rule that there is no compensation for delays when travelling home is a bit extreme. It implies people have extras of everything at home, and that is not always the case. It also allows companies to not bother that much and be less careful with what they are doing, reducing the quality of the service.

I understand this is not SAS-specific. But IMO it doesn't make it "less worse" just because it is a standard practice in aviation. It's unfortunate that we can't do much about it...

Status
Stängd för vidare inlägg.
Toppen