Senaste nytt

Går ej längre att växla SEK kontanter i Thailand.

guwonder

Medlem
Fast det verkar ju smugglas stora mängder svenska kontanter ur landet. Undrar hur de lyckas växla dem.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t as much in SEK notes being smuggled from the country as the Scandinavian governments believe and would try to sell to the public and amongst themselves. I just think their calculations are not properly factoring the way things can be done and are being done and thus the governments are sort of misleading themselves just because of relative ignorance.

Real estate and vehicle transactions in Sweden, in relatively popular Swedish second home markets abroad, in foreign labor source markets and elsewhere have become a big part of the money laundering picture along with illegal invoicing games for goods and even services. Then they may settle in part in cash and smurf the black money back into the above ground economy without the cash having ever physically moved abroad. And the dirty little secret of the underground economy is that cross-border money laundering nowadays is way less cash intensive nowadays than it used to be. They have truly learned from the ways of multinational corporations and other businesses in order to engage in cross-border money laundering without big physical cross-border movements of cash.

Earlier this month I had to play the Bank of Baht for some Swedes in Thailand stuck with SEK notes which they couldn’t convert but needing way more THB notes than they had anticipated needing. Fortunately for them BankID worked in Thailand so they could transfer me money in kind.

There is a quasi-Swish-like/QR code type peer-to-peer electtonic payment facility that is increasingly used by Thais, but I haven‘t gotten around to looking how to use it as a foreigner in Thailand unless having a Thai bank account.

Last edited:

RobHK

Medlem
Är väl inget jätteproblem då om de för små belopp finns ATMs. Och för större belopp tar man bara med EUR eller USD till Thailand istället?

guwonder

Medlem
Nej något jätteproblem är det kanske inte men dyrare än tidigare.
More expensive may indeed be the more common problem.

I’ve rather recently seen Danes in particular having card payment problems at hotels in Thailand. And then additional hurt comes from daily ATM withdrawal limits on one or both sides of an attempted withdrawal. Maybe they also can see additional hurt from card blocks when “too many” transactions trigger fraud-related shutdowns — so then doing more but smaller withdrawals is an issue not just of expense per withdrawal but also of the card account being blocked for frequency of card use. It seems to me that Swedish and Danish travelers to Thailand may tend to have fewer bank cards for use than American and Canadian travelers to Thailand, and thus they perhaps need to plan cash access even more because of that.

Even with the risk of cash being stolen, I still am a fan of having a good deal of cash on hand as back-up to tide me over for all expenses for at least a few days or get me out of a place. It’s unfortunate for Scandinavian tourists that it’s gotten harder to just take kronor notes along overseas to convert in-person on arrival at the destination.

There is a quasi-Swish-like/QR code type peer-to-peer electtonic payment facility that is increasingly used by Thais, but I haven‘t gotten around to looking how to use it as a foreigner in Thailand unless having a Thai bank account.

Googling a bit there seems to be at least three mobile payment systems in Thailand: PromptPay, TrueMoney, and LINE Pay. The first one seems to be like Swish in Sweden, bank account to bank account instant transfers. The other two might be usable for a foreigner.

guwonder

Medlem
Ja, helt klart bankomat. De flesta bankomater tar en avgift på 220 baht vid uttag. Sedan tillkommer eventuella avgifter från din bank i Sverige.
Exactly: withdrawal fees + any forex fee. And keep in mind any applicable daily cash withdrawal limits — whether a limit imposed by the bank back at home or a limit imposed by the machine/bank in Thailand.

Not typically a financially smart move to use Western Union, but if desperate for THB when in Thailand, it’s been possible to Western Union for cash pick up in Thailand.

Toppen