Senaste nytt

Chicago Ohare Check in counter hours

Danemark1

Ny medlem
Hello, apologies writing this in English. I will be flying out of ORD (SK944) and I was wondering what time the check in counter will open to get boarding passes and drop luggage. Last November when flying ORD-ARN in early November it opened 4 hours before departure. Now with the earlier ORD-ARN flight gone and SK944 flight backed up from 10:00 pm to 7:45 pm I wanted to be sure of the hours available to check in. I called both SAS Denmark (they did not know) and SAS U.S.A. gave a canned response of "2 hours before flight check in required". This should be so easy to find - but unable to find the information. I will be going to the lounge as well - I am guessing that opening time should mirror the check in counter?? Thanks much for the help!

mha321

Medlem
Hello, apologies writing this in English. I will be flying out of ORD (SK944) and I was wondering what time the check in counter will open to get boarding passes and drop luggage. Last November when flying ORD-ARN in early November it opened 4 hours before departure. Now with the earlier ORD-ARN flight gone and SK944 flight backed up from 10:00 pm to 7:45 pm I wanted to be sure of the hours available to check in. I called both SAS Denmark (they did not know) and SAS U.S.A. gave a canned response of "2 hours before flight check in required". This should be so easy to find - but unable to find the information. I will be going to the lounge as well - I am guessing that opening time should mirror the check in counter?? Thanks much for the help!
I don't know when the check in opens as I seldom use the counter. But the lounge is open longer ahead as it also serves other airlines. (it's not a very good lounge of course, but it's the only star one in the terminal)

Danemark1

Ny medlem
Thanks much - will go with the 4 hours!! Funny as I thought it would be like a set in stone time. Our son is driving us 3 hours to Chicago as we are bringing my wife's uncle's ashes (he lived in Minnesota and wanted his remains brought back to Denmark) back home to Denmark. He needs to wait while we go through TSA in case there is any hiccup with the process. He could always bring the ashes back to Wisconsin if the TSA rejects for some reason (while we continue on our trip to Denmark). Hence all this concern for when the check in counter opens! The things you do for family!!!

andreas

Medlem
Thanks much - will go with the 4 hours!! Funny as I thought it would be like a set in stone time. Our son is driving us 3 hours to Chicago as we are bringing my wife's uncle's ashes (he lived in Minnesota and wanted his remains brought back to Denmark) back home to Denmark. He needs to wait while we go through TSA in case there is any hiccup with the process. He could always bring the ashes back to Wisconsin if the TSA rejects for some reason (while we continue on our trip to Denmark). Hence all this concern for when the check in counter opens! The things you do for family!!!

You might already have done your own research but here’s some extra info:

TSA

Cremated Remains

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
  • Checked Bags: Yes
We understand how painful losing a loved one is and we treat crematory remains with respect. Some airlines do not allow cremated remains in checked bags, so please check with your airline to learn more about possible restrictions.

To facilitate screening, we suggest that you purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container made of a lighter weight material, such as wood or plastic. If the container is made of a material that generates an opaque image, TSA officers will not be able to clearly determine what is inside the container and the container will not be allowed. Out of respect for the deceased, TSA officers will not open a container, even if requested by the passenger

SAS

Powder – or powder-like substances in cans containing more than 350 ml each, may not be carried in the passenger’s carry-on baggage on SAS flights to the US, with the following exceptions:

• Medicines in powder form, with valid prescription.
  • Baby food and powder used on small children for body care – in original packages.
  • Urns with cremation ash.
We recommended that you pack your powder-like substances In your checked baggage. For further information, see the website of the US Transport Security Administration (TSA).

guwonder

Medlem
Thanks for the reply. I am coming down from Wisconsin and would rather not sit by the counter for a few hours waiting if possible. Trying to make life a bit easier haha! Thanks again.

SAS opens at ORD well before 2 hours before check-in.

I have dropped bags at 3.5 hours before departure for ORD-CPH this year. Sometimes when they don’t seem to be yet open (like 4.25 hours before departure), you may see someone come by the desk there and can ask if they can check you in or get someone to check you in even before they are really open. I have been helped there that way sometimes.

palmen

It's different on airports, but AFAIK they don't open later than 3h before on any US Airport for SAS checkin. NY is an exception at EWR since they open for the first flight and even if you are on a later flight you could check in as soon as it opens for the first flight.

guwonder

Medlem
It's different on airports, but AFAIK they don't open later than 3h before on any US Airport for SAS checkin. NY is an exception at EWR since they open for the first flight and even if you are on a later flight you could check in as soon as it opens for the first flight.
SAS indeed has check-in open a minimum of 3 hours before their departures from US to Scandinavia, at least on the SAS routes I frequent the most. For most of the last hour before departure, SAS check-in is almost as good as closed because of the filing deadlines that the US Government requires for common carrier flights out of the US and because of how the check-in staff go back for other duties for SAS such as boarding passengers onto the flight for which they were checking in passengers.

ORD used to be sort of the same way as EWR on some days when ORD-ARN was operating (much earlier) on the same day as ORD-CPH, but the gaps between SAS flights at ORD was just between the afternoon and the evening.

Danemark1

Ny medlem
Thanks for the reply folks - all very helpful. I never thought I would be bringing ashes back to Denmark (wife grew up there before marrying a Yank and moving to the U.S.A. long ago). She has a friend who is much older and getting near the end of her life and has the same wishes - to have ashes returned to Denmark. The draw to come back home to the place of their upbringing is strong. I wonder how common this is. Possibly common enough for SAS to provide guidance on their website ( thank you andreas). The transportation urn is actually made of cardboard tube with a beautiful seaside scene printed on the tube so it should be scannable for the TSA. Pretty fitting for him as he was a ships pilot out on the sea for years. Thanks again for your help.

Toppen