Qantas - Australia's flag carrier - has announced a huge enhancement to its premium menus - inflight and in its lounges - both on domestic and international routes.
This is the biggest investment in Qantas inflight and lounge dining in a decade and the airline says that this means new dishes, larger portions and that it will be using high-quality ingredients from premium Australian producers. This is all part of the AUD$100 million expansion of domestic and international lounges, progressive renewal of its aircraft and new routes.
At a glance:
First (on Airbus A380)
- More premium produce with new dishes including Calvisius Caviar on Buckwheat Blinis with Pepe Saya Crème Fraiche, Queensland Spanner Crab and Sweet Pork Salad with Green Mango, Cashews and Nam Jim Dressing, Crumbed Margra Lamb Cutlets with Lemon Myrtle Celeriac Puree, Seared Glacier 51 Toothfish with Saffron Sauce, Steamed Potatoes and Braised Fennel, and Riverine Beef fillet with Green Beans and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes.
- More premium produce with new dishes including Seared Grasslands Beef Fillet with Café de Paris Butter, Bannockburn Free-range chicken Kyiv and Seared Snapper with Black Bean Sauce, Seasonal Greens and Salted Chilli.
- More substantial second meal on long flights between Australia and Asia in Business Class. Dishes include a Crumbed Snapper Roll with Pickled Cabbage and Tartare sauce, and Stir-fried Noodles with Wombok, Cucumber, Sesame and Chilli Oil.
- New dishes include Salmon with Tomato Fennel Sauce, Red Quinoa and Brown Rice, and Braised Lamb Shank with Red Wine Mushroom Sauce and Potato Puree.
- Introduction of a starter salad, as well as an ice-cream service on all flights.
- An increased range of lighter options in Business including Ploughman’s and Cheese plates featuring a selection of cheese, Free-range Chicken and Pistachio Terrine, Charcuterie and accompaniments along with Chicken and Corn soup with Dill and Green Pea soup with Mint.
- The addition of starter salads in Business on long flights, which include Grilled Prawns with Asian slaw and Edamame and Tasmanian Smoked Salmon with Kale and Sweet Potato salad.
- Premium snacks in Business from Koko Black, Brookfarm and Carman’s.
- Return of pre-take off water and juice in Business on long domestic flights.
- Return of premium cakes such as Decadent Chocolate Ganache cake.
- Enhanced plate of the day including Steamed Blue Eye with Pickled Daikon, Sesame and Shiso Vinaigrette, and Eight-hour Beef Brisket with Potato Puree, Tarragon and Shallot Butter in International First Lounges.
- The International Business Lounges will offer plates of Fresh Ricotta and Crisp Pancetta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Sourdough, and Beef, Bacon and Dark Ale Pies.
- Ice cream served in Qantas Clubs and international and domestic Business Lounges.
Qantas Group Chief Customer Officer, Markus Svensson said new dishes, generous portions and premium produce would take the inflight dining experience to a new level.
“Premium food and wine is one of the top three reasons our customers choose to fly with Qantas, so this significant boost means we will be able further our efforts to deliver a world-class experience in the sky,” said Mr Svensson.
Qantas Creative Director of Food, Beverage and Service Neil Perry, who has worked with Qantas for 25 years, says “We are spoilt for choice in Australia when it comes to being able to source top quality food from fantastic Australian producers, and together with generous servings and great service, these are the key ingredients to creating an enjoyable meal,” and followed “over time, it’s been fantastic to see a broader curiosity around international cuisines and plant-based dining, which has allowed us to become more adventurous with our menus.”
With each regular menu change, Neil Perry and his team create nearly 250 new dishes for the domestic and international network.
Read the BusinessClass.com First Class Product Launch of Qantas Airbus A350-1000ULR
Read the BusinessClass.com report on new Qantas premium lounges
Read the BusinessClass.com review of Qantas Business Class
BusinessClass.com searches hundreds of travel sites at once to help you find the best premium travel offers for both flights and the finest hotels. Find the best prices for Business Class flights by making a search on BusinessClass.com